Beginning Again in my 40s

 "So, here's the thing..."

I used to follow this woman who wrote a blog with that exact name. I loved it and wish I had thought of it first. It was back in the early to mid-2000s when blogs were "the thing". Now, it's all about pictures on Instagram and Facebook (for my generation) or Snapchat (for my kids' generation) or blogs that have turned into podcasts. I know she was a writer and moved somewhere up north where it snowed. But when I googled it, someone else with a podcast of the same name came up--I don't think they are from the same person. I hope that she is living a good life wherever she may be.

I also used to follow a blog written by a woman who was a recovering alcoholic who would recount her days of struggle and stories of her past. I don't know why I read that--the only thing we had in common were young children and those struggles of motherhood. But she was such a great writer! I was always riveted by what revelations she had that day or how she struggled to even get through the day. I hope that her life is currently a good one. But in my late 40s, my memory fails me to even try and find out what that blog was called.

Now, here I am writing my own blog, which may not ever be read by anyone other than one or two close friends. Apparently, I once had started a blog called "California Coasties" but it didn't seem to have any posts (or any previously written have been deleted due to time--it was probably started over 8 years ago). But I was inspired by a fellow writer and good friend who has started a blog to deal with the grief and tragedy of a personal loss that has taken its toll over the last year. She is my spark (KW💜).

If you already know me, then you can skip over this next part. However, if you stumbled on this, please read on. 

  • I'm a short, freckled, genetic red-head (who now has to color her hair red--the secret's out, but I have a FANTASTICALLY TALENTED stylist who makes it look real once again) in her late-40s in real age who thinks she's actually in her late-20s. 
  • I'm a proud (retired) military wife who LOVES the US Coast Guard and all of our Coastie friends we've met over the last 20+ years. 
  • I'm a certified teacher who enjoys teaching Social Studies but whose true love is teaching writing and editing--I am addicted to editing. I am so frustrated when I see online articles or social media posts with mistakes. But if you are my friend and send me something, please don't think I'm judging you or changing your grammar as I read it. I just love good writing!! 
  • I'm a mom to two teenagers in the arts who sometimes need me, are often embarrassed by me, and who, with any luck, will become productive members of society.
  • I love God and continue to be flummoxed by the path on which She/He has led me.
  • I'm an (aspiring, background, stand-in) actor who has always wanted to be on stage/in film since I was a kid in children's theatre. I just didn't follow that path or didn't find any opportunities when I moved to Georgia as a middle schooler. Now, in Savannah, I've had many more chances to shine this particular part of my light.
  • I guess there are many other things that would describe me, but I can't seem to come up with them right now. Feel free to comment and remind me.
I had a hard time when we transitioned from active-duty military life to retired, corporate "normal" life. We moved to Savannah after I said I never wanted to move back to GA. In fact, God and I had a direct line going for almost a year as I yelled at Her, sobbed, and pleaded with Her to take away the pain and frustration of constant struggles (some might say immovable mountains) that made this move to the Hostess City so difficult for me. My husband had an amazing new job that he loved, and we were near the beach...what in the heck did I have to complain about!?!?!? It's taken me many, many years to find good friends whom I can trust and love who will also love me back and support me (You know who you are!). And as always, God had a plan for us to leave the West Coast we loved so much and come back here, because our needs weren't #1. We lost both of our mothers within a year (to the day) of each other to horrible diseases (one in 2019 of Parkinson's and the other in 2020 of Alzheimers). My dad dealt with 2 serious illnesses for which I was able to come and help him. So, with my tail between my legs, I looked up at the heavens and told God I understood...being a good servant is not always easy but is always necessary.

Maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis (without the need to have an affair--boy, do I love my husband of 25 years!) and feel like it's time to begin again. Do I have fears? You BETCHA!!! But, wisdom of those years have led me to see things differently and jump through those fears. So, as I begin to blog again, I look  forward to writing....maybe for someone...maybe for no one....but definitely for me!

Thanks for reading!!!

Comments

  1. You are an excellent writer and an even better friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely understand growing up and creating a new life for yourself. I left public school and opened my business as an art teacher at 48. It hasn't been a breeze, especially when Covid hit, but I've never looked back. I have no regrets. I love that you are writing a blog. I really wanted to add one to my website but the upkeep with everything else was just to much. I wish I could find a teenager to run my social media so I could focus just on writing lessons and teaching, the parts I love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! Thanks for sharing your voice with us :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment